Friday, November 5, 2010

Connections: Sophie's World and College Visits

There is a certain mindset you have to put yourself in while on college visits. I was able to find the perfect mindset while reading the novel Sophie's World in humanities class. Sophie is an adventurous existential thinker that does not let things get in the way of her looking at the broad picture of things. Sometimes, when I try new things or am in new places I forget to keep an open mind and know that not everything has to be in the perfect set out order that I have them.

When keeping an open mind, it was easier for me to look at the qualities of each college and know my likes and dislikes for it. I was able to see myself walking around campus, living in the dorms, and going to class at any particular college I just happened to be at. By being able to put myself in the students shoes I was able to make a well informed decision about whether I wanted to go there or not.

In the novel, Sophie has a very open mind. She is able to ask hard questions about herself that a young girl is not usually able to answer or even question. Just like Sophie, on my college visits I made sure I asked myself the hard questions like, "can I really see myself living here?" or, "would this place really be conducive to my future and my goals as a powerful woman?" through these questions, I am able to learn a lot about myself and what I want in the coming years for my future. Just like Sophie, I want to ask myself the hard questions so that later in life I won't regret not knowing the answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment